Pages

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Lemon Delicious


Last night I finally got around to baking Lemon Delicious from my plate of lemons. This is a pudding which makes its own sauce at the bottom. Delicious with icecream! (just hard to present for the perfect photo LOL. Now I know why the cookbook shows it in its pre-served glory. But gee it tastes good!
Lemon Delicious

3 eggs, separated
1/2 cup castor sugar
30g butter, melted
1 cup milk
2 tspns grated lemon rind
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup castor sugar, extra
Beat egg yolks and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy *
Transfer to large bowl. Sitr in butter, milk, rind, juice and sifted flour.
Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form, add extra sugar gradually, beat until dissolved between additions. Fold into lemon mixture in 2 batches. Pour into lightly greased ovenproof dish (6 cup capacity) or 6 individual dishes. Place in baking dish with enough hot water to come halfway up side of dish. Bake in moderate oven about 50mins (3o mins for individual dishes) or until pudding is set.** ... hopefully not quite so well done as this one** Serve immediately with icecream. And a cup of tea. And the Gilmore Girls.

*Since I do not like to have to wash all the electric mixer parts and have them completely dry and grease-free to mix the egg whites I did this first step with a whisk in a bowl, it worked fine, and the mixer was still clean to do the egg whites.

**Now that I am typing the recipe I realise that I completely missed the step of baking it in a dish of water ... I thought it came out drier than usual. Luckily I got it out of the oven just before the sauce dried up. derrrr! Fortunately I have plenty more lemons!

2 comments:

Amy said...

yum! i'm printing this out to make it myself :-)

Amy said...

btw I have an award for you at my blog :-)