Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2008

A hard lesson out of school


"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will ... do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you ... Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good ... Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse ... Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone" ...
- Romans 12
In the last day or so I have stood up for something I think is right in an organisation I am involved in. It was hard to do and I was strongly opposed from every other member of the organisation. This was a moral issue involving children and I am saddened by the world's lack of wisdom and its putting ease for adults and momentary pleasure of their children before all else. I should not be surprised - this is the world we live in, but I don't often hear it expressed so strongly in person.

So this morning was not a happy morning for me. The girls had an unexpected day off school and we planned a picnic but at first everything went wrong - tempers flared, instrument practices did not happen, we were all grumpy ... but eventually we packed up and spent a few hours at the national park, and I'm so glad we did. God's amazing creation calmed and revived me, and helped me to see that He is bigger than the people around me.

The girls loved every minute
... and I was struck again by the variety in even a small area of bush.

The scribbly gums reminded me of my free-motion quilting ...


The picnic ended with a walk in the mangroves.
" ... he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. " Ps 23
Then it was back to normal life with a chiropractor appointment and a flute lesson.

No comments: